An animal lover surely wants to keep all the beautiful pets of the world, but of course, there are limitations. The most important factor related to this hobby is MONEY! Time is equally important, but the owners are more focused on the budget they can spare for the maintenance of a pet. It is entirely fair to be concerned about the prices so that you can plan all the things systematically beforehand.
When it comes to ferrets, you have to look after ample requirements to provide them a comfortable and pleasant stay/environment. Thus, it is essential to have an idea of owning a ferret. The cost includes all the supplies like food, shelter, litter, litter boxes, water bowls, cage, toys, crate, vet visits, care supplies, harnesses, and much more.
The more facilities you provide to your ferret, the more they will enjoy their stay and stay healthy. Your little effort will make their life easy-going and comfy. In this article, I will converse about ferret prices that will help you in framing the future to raise the ferrets at your home. Let’s move on!
How much do ferrets cost?
Lots of variables are considered to determine the cost of ferrets. The cost of buying or adopting the ferret differs as it depends on the place where you buy it. The cost of the pet store, shelter, and breeder all varies as you will find ferrets in different conditions in all these places.
|Ferret Food||$30 – $100 (Per Month)|
|Litter Boxes||$2000 (Lifetime)|
|Ferret Toys||$500 (Lifetime)|
|Vet Bills||$7000 (Lifetime)|
There is no fixed cost of owing the ferrets as it depends on your budget and the facilities you want to provide to your ferret. As an owner, you have to arrange essential supplies for your beloved ferrets so that they can stay healthy. I would like to throw some light on these crucial supplies –
Things to Consider Before Buying a Ferret
- Eatables and Water Supply – It is essential to provide a high-quality diet to your ferrets. Meat is the rich source of nutrients for ferrets. So, you can arrange food items containing meat protein and fats. It may cost you $20 – $30. Ferrets also like to play with their water bowls by digging in it. So, you should attach the water bowls to their cage. The cost maybe $8 – $14.
- Bedding – Make sure that you provide a spacious, durable, and comfortable bed to your ferrets so that they can rest well. They are very active and playful and thus require the right amount of sleep. If you prepare the foundation of old T-shirts and clothes, then it won’t cost you, but if you get it from the store, then it may cost you near about $25 – $45. The rates also depend on the materials used for manufacturing the bed.
- Cage – If you go for a large cage, then it would be good for your dearest ferrets to move or play around comfortably. Before finalizing the cage, kindly make sure that it is adequately ventilated and long-lasting. A large ferret cage may cost you between $120 and $350. If you don’t want to spend much amount in cages, then you can also move for softly used ferret cages that you can buy from shelters. They are reasonable and convenient.
- Playing Equipment – To keep your ferrets active and joyful, you can take the help of playing equipment that will deliver fun to your ferrets. It solely depends on your budget. Plan about how much you would like to spend on the entertainment of the ferrets and their toys. The range lies between $7- $25, but it is entirely optional.
- Crate – It acts as a safe place for your ferrets to stay. They feel secure and much more comfortable in boxes. If you are facing a situation where you have to transfer your ferrets from one place to another, or you need to take them to the vet, then it provides great help to you. The prices may start at $20.
- Grooming Supplies – It is essential to provide proper grooming to your ferrets from time to time. These activities cover nail clipping and shampooing that may cost near about $7 – $15, hairball laxative that ranges between $5 to $8, teeth cleaner to maintain their teeth may cost roughly around $6 – $9.
- Litter box – It would be commendable if you arrange multiple litter pots for your ferret so that they perform their task in the cage or play area easily. Nominally a litter box costs you around $6 – $13, but if you want to spend less money on litter boxes, then you can try recycled newspaper pellets or wood pellets that will charge near about $5.
- Treats and Delights – Again, it entirely depends on you whether you would like to offer gifts and joys to your beloved ferrets or not. But if you feel like to give it as a motivation factor, then you can look for something that starts from $2 and up.
- Miscellaneous issues – There are many other subjects on which you have to spend for your ferrets like medical issues, which can include checkups (costs around $13 – $20) and vet visits (range from $55-$110.) The facility of the harness that will allow your ferret to move around freely may cost from $10 – $15. Last but not least, as the list is long, but you should also consider near about $500 – $1000 for any other emergency.
On average, the ferrets can cost near about $700 – $2500 per month. But remember, this rough estimate is meant for the initial months only. The cage, bedding, playing equipment, and much more will stay for a longer time, while the ongoing expenses such as food, litter, and visit of the veterinarian will often occur.
So from this article, you can assume how much the ferrets initially and affect your budget. You will realize what will be the ferret cost and whether you should buy it or not! Your expenses also depend on how much you pamper your precious ferrets, so figure it out all by yourself using this information. It won’t be tough to deal with ferrets as they are cute loving beings, which will add pleasure to your life. So, it’s my request to have a big YES for these cuties and lovelies.